Friday, May 8, 2015

...gotta love the idea of camping on the Oregon Coast

Living in Texas, as I do, it is easy to forget the cool, and sometimes rainy days on the Oregon Coast. But, the weather on the coast had been beautiful for my planned camping trip with the grandkids. Flying out of Texas and heading to Portland, OR, I was so happy to think about the good time we would have at the beach.

Before I left, I ordered and had shipped to Tyler's house a variety of things for our three glorious days on the beach:  a pop-up sun thingy to put in the sand and keep us from getting sunburned, a new Coleman camp stove, camp chairs, camp cook ware, sleeping bags, a nifty Coleman cot and sleeping pads for the kids.  We were prepared!

I arrived in Portland, picked up my 4x4 SUV and headed for Tyler's where I was greeted with much excitement (for me..or the trip???).  The kids and I made a food shopping list which included s'mores. Off to Fred Meyer we trekked (I had not forgotten all I love about Fred Meyer shopping centers...Wal-mart...you just don't get it!!).

The next morning, with packed coolers and all camp gear and tent loaded in the SUV, we headed off to Cannon Beach where we had reservations at a private camp ground called, Wright's For Camping.  I have stayed there a few times before...it is great!

Kids are singing, we are playing word games as we cross the coast mountain range and drop into Cannon Beach...where it is blue skies!









It doesn't take us long to set up our tent and sun screen tent and start a nice bonfire (yes, I can make fire!). After setting up camp, we head into Cannon Beach for some fun shopping and return to camp when it doesn't take long for the blue sky to change to overcast and with the threat of sprinkles. Wait! Change sprinkles to a steady drizzle/






We were able to get through dinner and marshmallows before the sky opened up. There wasn't much we could do except hunker down in the tent with books, and games and try to wait out the thunderstorm.

Well,event with the rain tarp, the tent leaked, puddles formed on the floor of the tent and sleeping bags were wet when I got the kids up in the morning with the news that we needed to leave the beach. Tyler's tent ripped apart in a gust of wind and we pitched it into the garbage, we salvaged the sun shade and loaded dirty, wet "stuff" into the  SUV. We headed into the town of Canon Beach in search of warm food and an exit back to Vancouver.





No comments:

Post a Comment