Thursday, April 23, 2015

Grand Canyon Pre-Trip Planning Post #3

Friendship...



See that man? That is  Midland Fire Chief, Robert Isbell.  When I think of working with good folk, he pops up at the top of my list? Why, and what does he have to do with our Grand Canyon motorcycle trip? Well...pull up a chair, grab a drink of choice and let me enlighten ...

Chief Isbell is a motorcyclist, so we enjoy talking about bikes and riding. When he heard about my trip he offered to give me help if we encounter mechanical or other problems. WHAT?

We talked about the route and the stretches of highways where there was a whole lotta nothing.  His solution to that was to take my itinerary and to be the point of contact for all of the fire stations along our route. WHAT????  Chief Isbell is volunteering to be on call 24/7 in case of any emergencies we may have...breakdowns, sickness, ANYTHING. anything we need, he will call the fire station closest to where we are for them to help.

Needless to say, when I shared this with my husband, and two sons, they were very happy to know that there was a plan to have us girls covered ....just in case.



Sometimes along life's highways roads do diverge and we can't always plan for what lies ahead.  Oh, I can (as mentioned in previous post) be all anal in planning, but stuff does happen and I am so happy to know Chief Isbell.

Long gone are the days when I would take off on my bike and not tell anyone where I was going.  So, everyday before Lizzy and I leave a destination heading for the next one, I will text Chief and gratefully let him know where we are...just in case.

This is a biker bell also called a guardian bell.  Most, if not all, bikers have one or more hanging from somewhere on their bikes.

If you ever wondered what mechanical ‘wonder’ holds the handlebars to the frame; it’s known as the riser. It rises off the triple-tree (the long thingy that holds a motorcycles’ front wheel in place). Anyway, as any frequent rider knows, there are a multitude of threats on the road from debris to rage to weather. Nobody is able to always counter all the threats; so there must be an angel riding on the riser…

                                            A riser riding angel maintains vigil as I roam,
Shes with me as I wonder whether near or far from home.
Heavy throttle on the highway, or a quick stop near the light
Making paths of mercy happen when distractions cloud my sight.
I can claim no satisfaction of the skill which I possess
I’m thankful of provision riding curves and hills with crests.
So as every ride assails me of those old familiar threats
Attention, search and execute;
Riser angel-catch the rest!





...now...how do I get Chief Isbell to sit on my handlebars??





No comments:

Post a Comment