Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Grand Canyon Ride - The Zip Line or how I thought I would die!




So...OK....Zip Line.  I am a woman of my word, unfortunately in this case.  I signed Lizzy and I up for a 2 hour zip line tour at Out of Africa Wildlife Park in Camp Verde, AZ. The name of the zip line is the Predator. But, let's back up before I share my terror with you.  Leaving Sedona.

Sedona is a city that I really don't care to go back to unless I'm in a car. Then, I'd like to poke my nose around in the touristy little shops and spend money on things that when I get them home, I wonder why I bought them.

Camp Verde is only 32 miles from Sedona...piece of cake.  I ask Google to give me directions and it does. The map shows a nice road off the freeway so we decide to take it.  We launch without breakfast...we'll get something on the way out of Sedona as our check in time at the zip is 9:00am.
Reverse is still twitchy and I found that I had put Dolly in a position where I couldn't make a big old circle to turn. We are at a gas station fueling and eating donuts and I spy two hunky dudes whom I recruit to turn it around. Once turned...we were off in search of the back road into Camp Verde, AZ.

What we found was a pretty road with overhanging trees and a dead end. Google promptly told me to turn around. Well, DUH!!!! After turning around in the middle of a forest road with a big old sign that says..DEAD END, we headed back the way we came and got on the freeway, took the correct exit and found our way to the park.  Phew...we are ahead of 9:00am. Sweet!  NOT!  The guys didn't show up until 9:45 as we sat around in the hot morning sun.  OK..they show up.

After a safety briefing and fitting of our harness, we followed our two guides to the wooden stairs that switch backed all the way up 120 feet.  Needless to say, I was the last one up to the launching pad..well, one of the guides was behind me.  OK...my fear is evident on so many levels that my brain is in overload.  if the stairs were any indication of what was ahead....



Awrighty then....the platform is fenced on three sides. Sitting close to the edge of the open launch side is a big, sturdy wooden box, which, I am told is where we launch.  From the moment I reach the platform, I begin to shake and I can't let go of the guide who followed me up the stairs. I will saylet like I was going to fall from the platform..the safety was never a concern as we were always hooked onto at least two points of cable or the platform at the same time. that wasn't the fearful part for me. Plain and simple...it's stepping off the launch box into thin air that scared me to tears.  OK..my turn to go.

I make sure the guide goes over the procedure one more...no...two...no..three more times.  I shake like a quaking Maple tree as I stepped onto the launch box...never letting go of the guide.  I sat down into the harness and told him to push......


I didn't die...I didn't fall off the cable and most importantly...I didn't puke.

After three lines, we came to a rope bridge that was 40' long. WHAT????? After three zip lines, I was feeling pretty good ...I never warmed up to the platform, but the launching from the box, did not bother me after three zips...then comes the rope bridge...my fears elevate off the chart!


They made me go first.  OK...I'll go, but by my controlling rules:  Guide goes in front of me...no wigging....takes baby steps...I hold on to guide with left hand and the rope bridge with my right hand...I get to curse.... I didn't die...I thought I would, but I didn't. Phew!  Two more lines to go and by the time, it was over, my body was stressed, I couldn't talk, barely could walk.  My endorphines had maxed out and all I wanted to do was piddle.

Lizzy loved every minute of it. Every daredevilish thrill...upside down....et, al...she loved it. Does that fact make my fearful experience any better?  NO. But, I am happy for her. Will I ever do it again? NO.  I can embrace what I don't like and I am fine with that!

We've turned the corner...time to head for home.....




No comments:

Post a Comment