Friday, June 29, 2012

...livin' someone else's life....

I'm reading a series of books called The Dresden Files.  The Dresden files is fantasy/mystery novels written by Jim Butcher.  He provides a first person narrative of each story from the point of view of the main character, private investigator and wizard, Harry Dresden, as he recounts investigations into supernatural disturbances in modern-day Chicago.

I like the books because the author has developed good characters that you want to see do good against evil.  I was going to stop after I read the 4th book, but I am compelled to keep reading. It's mindless fun and it takes me away into a world far removed from my own.

I have a couple of friends who blog almost every day. They lead interesting lives and have interesting adventures to tell followers of their musings.  I don't live a very interesting life.  In fact, if I judge my life against others, including my blogging friends, I lead a pretty boring life. It's gotten more strange since our move to Texas. It's no wonder I'm reading about Wizards chasing weird creatures through Chicago!

I thought about writing on my blog..more like a diary...a journal, but that requires that I sit down and actually do the writing EVERY day.  I'm not sure I'm that committed.  I'd like to, I just don't know what I would say that you guys would find interesting.  So...I take keyboard to hand when I think I've got something to say that interests me.  After all, it is my blog and blogs are usually all about the person blogging. Back to the books.....for I digress.

I've decided after I read this series, I'll read the ones my husband has just finished. Adventure books about finding the lost continent of Atlantis...books like that. Again...mindless stuff that just takes me away right before I put head on pillow.  Nothing serious..nothing thought provoking...heck, that keeps me up.  Not TV in the bedroom in this house. We, John and I, along with the dogs, Jazzy and Marley, hit the bed, read, and then it's lights out....until one of the dogs has to go outside.



Reading has been one of those past times in my life that I rely on to center my mind and help me concentrate on non-life things. When I read..by the way, I love holding the books, taking a little marker and marking the pages; I'm a tactile reader and therefore, have avoided a Kindle or another type of reader. To me, there is something really cool about looking at a stack of books and knowing that they are either waiting for me to read or with a big grin, I look and say, 'Wow!  I made it through another series."

I read thought provoking books...religious, political, historical, biographies....but, I need the silly stuff to read right along side, or I'll get too involved in my thoughts to sleep.

Which brings me to my favorite author of fantasy/adventure novels, R.A. Salvatore. I sat down last summer when my life had taken a startling turn with the loss of my job and the looming loss of our house, (needless to say, I needed a good book to take me away....), and I started reading his novels and I was hooked!  What took my husband and sons 15 years to read (they collected and read since he was first printed), took me a few months of solid, dedicated reading.

Starting with the Dark Elf Trilogy - the visualizations of a nether world he created was perfectly created in my mind.The images of the worlds he created literally popped into my sight.  His novels of the conflicted Elf D'rizzt Do'Urden are the stories of good against evil with D'rizzt carving his way against Orcs, Goblins and Elementals and of course Dragons!  But, they are more than just books about duels...they deal with religion, faith, race, prejudice, family and perceptions. They are thought provoking as well as wildly entertaining and fascinating to read. (at least I think so).

I have finished the rest of his novels: 13 in all and I hope he's not done with the characters.  I'm hoping he still thinks the characters have a story to tell us because I'm not done and I'm not ready for the story to end.

He's on my bucket list to meet one day to thank for lifting me out of a dark place in my life and showing me through a wonderful story and fantasy world backdrop that being swept away in a story, putting my mind outside of my life for a few pages, brought me joy in the printed page.

..and now, my current book, The Dresden Files, "Dead Beat" is calling me.....




























No comments:

Post a Comment