Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Hood....and...slidin' into home....after the fact


Not quite the mudpuddle encountered on Mt. Hood...but the Creature From the Black Lagoon did try to reach out and grab John and his Wing!

It seems oddly funny now and I admit to laughing - well, at least having a giggle or two our last day on the road. Cold, wet, raining...narry a sunny beam along the way from Lakeview to Battleground.  Miserable and dreary. Welcome back to the Northwest...

We are, by this time, pretty road weary. As we approached the rest area at Government Camp Hwy 26 - up over Mt. Hood, the weather is rotten...well, it is a mountain, afterall and our spring weather has been abysmal. Why did I think it was going to be different - just because we are on our last leg of the trip? Silly girl.

The mudpuddle what ate the Wing came up out of nowhere. Well, it was there...John just didn't see it for what it was:  HUGE.  I can still see it in my eyeballs:  John sitting in a mudpuddle with the Wing balancing on the safety gadgets to keep it from damaging the engine. Was .....oddly funny. After getting help picking up the Wing and dusting off pride....we headed down the mountain toward our garage.

Re-entry was....interesting. After over 5,000 miles of riding in the worst possible weather - I turned the my Good and Faithful Sportster into my garage, caught my rain pants on the brake pedal and skidded the bike on it's side the last 6 feet into the garage.
 As I laid there 1/2 under the bike (did not go down all the way because I have engine guards), I said outloud, "Oh, this is funny!"  I felt a little like the old TV show, Laugh In where Arte Johnson's tricycle falls over.  I'm not sure training wheels would have helped.  John and Tyler came running to pull me out and all I could do was laugh!  No harm - No foul - bike is fine and so am I.

Happy to be home, the first dog to greet me was my Queen:  Jazzy. She took a very long time greeting me - almost 15 minutes of licks, wiggles, yelps and snuggles. The next two:  Ira and Marley were hysterical in their greetings which lasted another 10 minutes of ear-piercing barks, snuggles and licks.

Tyler had dinner for us, a clean house, laundry done and good hugs. Good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment